Lab Report: Catapult Project


Introduction & Hypothesis:

The purpose of this experiment is to allow us to apply the laws of physics, and equations for projectile motion to our design. The science behind our catapult is how the projection of the catapult work. When we built our catapult we measured the range of how the projectile would launch. Our hypothesis was our catapult would land in each target. How far back our spoon went back, our independent variable, affected the range of the projectile.

Materials & Procedure:

The materials we used were a plastic spoon(s), rubber bands, and popsicle sticks. The first step we use leading up to the launch of our catapult was, we measured the difference between the spoon and the floor in centimeters. The difference between the spoon and floor were a total of five centimeters. We pulled the spoon back one centimeter and launch the projectile. After we launched the projectile we measured the horizontal distance aka the range.






The results of the projectile motion of the catapult was I didn’t hit the target within the three tries. The y-axis is centimeters, and the x-axis is meters/horizontal distance.

20160125_170659 (1)


My original hypothesis was incorrect. The trajectory of the catapult was incorrect. Along with the way gravity affected the way projectile when being launched. If given a chance the way we would modify our catapult was to change the vertical trajectory. I learned that there is a lot behind building a successful catapult, I also learned that different catapults have different trajectory’s.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s